Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Oct 1999 06:48:44 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      What is Preventive Maintenance? was: DM Brakes
Comments: To: LAWS HOME <backintime@TRITON.NET>

Being a firm believer of "Preventive Maintenance", I figured I better rush to its defense. It sounds like perhaps you DO believe in PM, but just call it scheduled maintenance.

PM is the key to not standing on the side of the road next to your broken vehicle. PM is not simply changing the oil at 3k. PM is changing the water pump and all the coolant hoses simply because they are old, not because they have failed. It is swapping out your fuel lines before they fail. Or it is something as simple as lubricating all the door hinges and latches. By servicing your vehicle proactively, you *prevent* many failures... Cheers,

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: LAWS HOME [SMTP:backintime@TRITON.NET] Sent: Saturday, October 16, 1999 9:41 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: DM Brakes

I guess I stand corrected! Maybe, or maybe not? I'm sorry if maybe I didn't word my opinion correctly and made it sound like rotors "always" need to be turned. If you have ever seen the rotors I've had to deal with I'm sure you would agree with me. The DM may work well when people "take care" of their cars, and are compliant to the needs of said vehicle, but when you tell someone they need their brakes done and they show up two months later and ok the job..... !! By then the damage is done, nice grooves, gouges or whatever you might want to call them, in a nutshell its neglect. " I didn't have the money to do it then" . Well I'm sorry but it will cost you MORE now, a price has to be paid! A little now or MORE later, took me 16 years to get this through my wifes head. (on her car of course!) I like the idea of "scheduled maintainance" and I've always believed that the term "preventive maint." is a crock, you never prevent the inevitable from happening , you merely prolong it! i.e. I change my oil every 3k, does that mean my engine will live forever? not hardly , but it will live longer! It will eventually need bearings and rings etc.! just my .02 ! :~)