Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:10:10 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Passat Syncro??(semi-vanagon, syncro)
Comments: cc: Syncro <Syncro@onelist.com>

Joel Walker wrote:

> > Well, the Passat Syncro is dead, the 4wd system is now replaced by the > 4motion. > > This system uses an electrically controlled Haldex clutch > (http://www.haldex.com) > > question is: will what they use fit into a vanagon? :) or can some other > product made by them fit? > i've been wondering if it would be possible to replace the viscous coupling > with just a sort-of-normal 4wd transfer case of some kind ... that is, take > the "automatic" nature of the syncro away, and make it driver-selected. > probably have to have some additional levers, but i think there would be > room for that.

Interesting question, but I would suspect that a lot of dough would be needed for this to work. In addition, the 4motion isn't torque sensing, as the Syncro is. The ABS and ESP notes that one front wheel is slipping more than one rear wheel, and the computers tells the Haldex clutch how much to lock, and for how long, basically. If the electronics fail, I understand as if the car would only work as 2wd.

For the system to work in the Vanagon Syncro, well you'd need the ABS, the ESP and the engine management system on top, I guess it would be too much, if not impossible. It would be easier to put the Torsen (TORque SENsing) diff from the Audi into work, I am sure. Even this isn't a bolt on affair.

PerL 87 Syncro 112i