Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Oct 1999 10:11:38 -0700
From:         "T.P. Stephens" <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      DM continues

vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

At 10:54 AM 10/17/99 -0400, you wrote: >Once again someone is attempting to give the impression that there is >something inherently superior about German engineering and design.

What is the most successful automobile ever produced in the history of mankind. Das Volkswagon Type I. Why???? RESULTS, best suited to the long term needs for economical, efficient transport. The bearings for a 1955 356C are the same part number as a 1989 911. DM says, if you haven't got the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over???? I learned this element of the DM while practicing in the American engineering industry.

The highest state of Engineering in America is arguably NASA. Upon which Methode is superior rocket science founded??????? Was ist der namen uff der Doktors vat dit dis?????

It >has no basis in fact.

Many are highly indoctrined these days in acceptance of facade in lue of fact.

German engineering is no better than that from >many other nations.

I agree. Many nations have adopted the Methode. The Swiss, the Danes, the Belgians, and the Swedes immediatly come to mind. The French stole the Methode as war reparations in the abduction of Herr Doktor Porsche and his Son and used them without compensation to establish from scratch renewed post war industry. They let his Son out who immediatly created a new Formula 1 vehicle and with the proceeds paid the French ransom on his Father so he could come home and see Porsche Chassis No. 1 months before his premature death due to the debilitating nature of prison confinement.

There is no automotive manufacturer in the world today that has not paid license fees to Porsche Design for designs that can't be beat. Yes, even the Japanese, who have some very non Western ideas about patent rights, hire Porsche Design to solve best the problems their method can't. And don't you know, the consultants who work in Japan have learned much production and management while there and augmented their Methode with perceived opportunities for improvement. For a foundating principle of the DM is continuous improvement through bright ideas from all and children. Inspiration is where you find it. You must be constantly looking to find it.

If German engineering were so good, there would be >no recalls on German products.

Superior does not mean perfect. Nobody is perfect, or hadn't you heard. The Methode gets as close to perfection as we've come so far and is limited only by it's current state of progression in that direction. Just 'cause perfection is unobtainable by definition to a human being doesn't mean it is off the list when it comes to goals. How do you know how far you can go if your goal is limited???? The biggest limitation is the ability of the individual to adhere to an abscense of compromise to the Methode.

As for following manufacturer's >maintenence recommendations, that should always be done regardless of >the make of the vehicle.

I wholeheartely agree. Even when I service a relative's Ford truck, I buy FOMOCO parts and follow their manual as a guide in applying the Methode. If those FOMOCO belts lasted 6 years and 60,000 miles you would be penny smart and pound foolish to put on Gates wannabes.

Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

Doktor Tim Maintenance Repair and Restoration of European Vehicles San Juan Island, WA