Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:52:01 -0400
From:         LAWS HOME <backintime@TRITON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel valve troubles?

I don't know about your head ( the vans) or your valves, but if you come out of this unscathed, CHANGE your timing belt! Nothing kills a diesel faster than a questionable timing belt. I would say that the one on your van falls into that catagory. If it were me I would have renewed the timing belt before I put it back into service. I don't remember where it was I first heard this wisdom, maybe it was from Jack Ewalds page? Here is what I remember, VW (at this time) hasn't given a "suggested" time/mileage for changing the belts on the diesel engines but most concur that it should be done between 45-60k mile intervals, also anytime the vehicle sits for a period of approx. 2 years,belt should be replaced before putting vehicle back into service. I change mine at about 40k for peace of mind or if it looks like it may be questionable (or by some strange occurance) I should develope a fuel leak or oil leaks onto the belt) I replace it immediately! Call me what you will, but you usually don't see me sitting on the side of the road , unless I'm helping someone! Hope all goes well for you, keep us posted! Tom :~)