Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:00:21 -0700
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      variable-speed wiper relay part source

Several people responded back to my earlier post saying that they had tried the variable-speed wiper relay mod described at vanagon.com (see text below) and they liked it. My local VW shop has one in stock for $49.06, much higher than I wanted to pay. Anybody know an alternate cheaper source for VW part # 1HM 955 531A. The vanagon site metioned that this relay "was standard equipment on a number of VW models from around '92-95". Anyone know any particular model(s) that had this relay so that I can check out the local junk yards?

Thanks,

Steve

89 Westy

-------- text from www.vanagon.com ------------------------

It's a simple procedure to add a variable-speed wiper relay to a Vanagon. The variable wiper interval relay is an over-the-counter Volkswagen part in the US. The system was standard equipment on a number of VW models from around '92-95.

The VW part# is: 1HM 955 531A. It should drop right in as a replacement for the existing relay. It works as follows:

Turn wipers to "intermittent" (not mist) Turn them off Wait the time interval you want Turn them back to intermittent. The relay will repeat that interval.