Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Oct 1999 07:47:13 -0700
From:         "T.P. Stephens" <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Turkey/Bathtub/RTV

What would a turkey look like in a bath tub full of RTV??? I don't know but at least there would be one less turkey around and no RTV available in the immediate community to screw up whatever you might want to smear it on.

When I opened this shop, I went down to the NAPA store for some basic items like hand cleaner, oil and libricants and, yes, one tube each of three types of RTV. I knew then I wouldn't need it very often, but it is a proper sealant for a FEW applications like sealing cooroded Jaguar fittings when replacing a hose or making up a custom jig out of flotsom and jetsom lying about the shop. Of the three tubes I used less than a total of a half a tube the first year before they all dried up. All of that was used for making jigs, but for the half tooth brush dap I used on the hose.

Ohh, and if it didn't come to you, when you got that turkey nicely contained in the tub, any time the spirit moved you can go in and dope slap him either for tension relief or exercise, as you prefer. This could put Freudians and Jungians both out of work.

How 'bout it, kids??? Can you find in your Bentleys where is says, "Smear a big dab of that blue snot RTV on the backs of the brake pads so the next time you remove them you can fight them as long as you want until the inevitable shredding of the piston boots. Remove the calipers. Remove the boot lock ring and remnants of the boot and develop a technique not yet know to mankind to remove all the RTV residue. Reassembly is reverse of removal." See if you can find the initials RubberTyranticalVexation ANYWHERE in the book.

PUBLIC SAFETY NOTICE: We do not wish for any turkey hunts to end up putting a non-turkey in jepardy. The person who uses the RTV the first time is not a turkey. He can claim ignorance. The one who reuses it after removing the stuck pads has the clear cut smell of raw poultry. There are enough of them around any medium-small town to provide for the yearly high school fund raiser fun night. Give them the gelatinus unyeilding bath.

Doktor Tim Maintenance Repair and Restoration of European Vehicles San Juan Island, WA