Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:37:01 -0700
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      VW Rep visits my Eurovan....

I just spent almost two hours (looking over my EV as well as a stack of posts from you folks regarding fuel leaks) with a rep. from VW's Product Liaison Group. He said he would have been here earlier, but he was at the Puebla factory all last week...he did drive up from New Jersy to see my van.

He appeared to be genuinely concerned about my fire. Almost immediately he apologized for the treatment I initailly received from VW Customer Service...he said the word "fire" should have gotten their immediate attention rather than a brush-off. A good portion of the time was spent poking and prodding in the engine compartment. I did not notice it before but the blue fuel line is burnt through so that it was actually severed....there's a 6 inch section that is completely gone!

He took lots of notes as well as pictures of the engine compartment, and the rest of the EV. I then showed him my collection of posts about the fuel leaks, and my collection of NHTSA and Transport Canada materials. Would you believe that I have at least 15 separate complaints from the van groups regarding EV fuel leaks!

I think I may have "shocked" him with the size of the file as well....its over 3/4" thick and growing. He had full access to the file and made copies of the posts from the groups. At one point he said that my EV was the first that he was aware of with an engine fire....then I showed him copies of NHTSA complaints which have at least 11 incidents. That surely got his attention.

After reading and reviewing all of the posts, he thanked me for all of my time and effort in researching the problem and that "fires are simply unacceptable for Volkswagen". Again he apologized for my initial treatment.

My impression after the meeting today was that VW is truly interested in the problem. Lets see what happens next.

BTW, the dealer had a 2000 EV in the lot...jokingly I asked if it was possible to cut the nose off of the 2000 and weld it on to mine! The VW rep laughed and said I'd enjoy the VR6.

Ric