Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:23:13 -0000
From:         Kai Lynn <mjklm@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Fwd: Re: Wind]

I did it, and it is NOT an easy task. I broke a spark plug off in a hole and needed to get it machined out. Went to pull teh head, and...you guessed it, the cylinders came out too.

First thing, you cannot use a standard ring compression too. A large hose clamp is all you will be able to fit in there. Even at that, it is a VERY tight fit with no room to move, so on to the second thing...

Plan on a long drawn out process. Take your time in lining up the rings properly and keeping them aligned right. Before you even start teh entire evolution, really sit back and look at what you will have to do.

I had to remove both of the cylinders and started with forward (from the back of the van). I actually tried it the other way first, but it did not work. Getting the clamp onto the rings is a challenge, but can be done without much time invloved...it is getting it OUT that is the real trick. Once the first cylinder is in place and you start the second on its way, there is absolutely no room to work inside the shroud.

In all honesty, I believe it would be easier to do it with the engine on a stand outside the vehicle, but we are not always fortunate enough to break down in good "tool rich" enviroments.

Good luck in any case.

Matt.

PS. I will try to find the hose clamp I used to get the width of it for you. I know it was one I could find locally. Best guess on width is 5/8th ". ----- Original Message ----- From: Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 1999 19:51 Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Wind]