Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:27:58 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How to strengthen your gearbox
Comments: To: Helmut.Zeidler@nokia.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

<... how to strengthen the Vanagon gearbox...

22S 301 202 OIL SPLASH PLATE / DIFF PLATE NYLON 22S 301 222 OIL SPLASH PLATE / 5. GEAR NYLON

22S 301 204 OIL SPLASH PLATE ???

2 times 22S 301 319 BUSH PROTECTION SPLASH PLATE 2 times 22S 301 103 w/o description

...>

I talked with Chris Weddle from Weddle engineering about the modifications mentioned above. He said that "the modifications were done to all late model four and five speed trannys." He said that "it would possibly help only a small amount and would not do it to his if it did not have the modification already done."

If you have a late model you might already have it, if you do not have a late model do not worry about it (MHO). The weak hub is the main problem.

< ...Additionally, the South African gearbox got a strut beside the bellhousing. Part number is:

22S 300 107 STIFFING STRUT (N.L.A.) and 22S 300 107 A STIFFING STRUT

I don't know details. What does N.L.A means? Not Longer Available ???>

YES, I know those words all to well, I have tried to get parts for my '73 ...

< But it is a iron made strut, can't be expensive. For Syncros the strut is useless because of the fueltank. The bellhousings part number is:

BCY 301 107A CLUTCH HOUSING 5 Cylinder

We're investigating, if we could purchase this parts and the pricing of them.>

The above parts are for the inline engine stability. The torque can twist the inline easier than the flat four.

Might be more beneficial to engine swap people that go to alternate engine configurations than the flat/pancake design OR those that try to burn rubber from a stop. The weight of heads help to diminish the twist torque of the engine. (AMHO)

Robert