Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:26:06 -0400
From:         Eric Henning <eric.henning@US.ABB.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel leak

Mark wrote

> I sprung a gas leak the other day where the line goes through the metal > tin from the fuel pump into the engine compartment., and thought that my > van was going to catch fire (a good thing I pulled over in time). This is > the second time this accured so I thought its time to replace them all.

I would also suggest dropping the gas tank and replacing all the rubber bits on the gas tank (some people do this w/o dropping the tank but I wanted to see what the top of my tank looked like, plus dropping the tank is the easy part). The short non-pressurized hoses were brittle to the touch. I got my F.I. 7 mm hose from Bus Depot but got the un-pressurized hose from a FLAPS (on my 1980 westy, the non-press. hose was smaller than the 7mm press. F.I. hose, I think I used 6mm, may not sound like much difference but where these non-press. hoses connect there are no barbs and only friction from the hose clamp holds it. Fit seemed to loose for the 7mm). There are three small rubber grommets, the fuel sender gasket, and the big fuel filler grommet. If I can find my receipts I'll post the p/n for all the gas tank rubber. Remember, depending on year the filler neck grommet is different sizes. I got the filler neck, 3 grommets, fuel sender gasket and cross-over tube from the dealer. He had them the next day and not any more expensive than anybody else. I also changed the tube that goes between the two humps of the gas tank (cross-over tube?). As I recall I used over 30 clamps.

eric.henning@us.abb.com 80 westy