Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:26:15 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: VW Rep visits my Eurovan....
Comments: To: Michael Townsend <townsend@rtp.ericsson.se>

Michael Townsend wrote:

> There you go making us Americans jealous again! If the 2.5 TDI T4 was > available in America, this would be an easy decision for me to make. (Hard > to pay for, but I'd find a way!) Let's see, I have a copy of "Volkswagen > Magasinet" from last summer with the prices. It is interesting to see that > Norwegians have 7 engine choices!

Not 7, but 8! To break it down quickly, 3 gas engines and 5 diesels:

2,0 gas, 84 hp 2,5 gas, 115 hp 2,8 gas, 140 hp

1,9 TD, 68 hp 2,4 D, 78 hp 2,5 TDI, 88 hp 2,5 TDI, 102 hp 2,5 TDI, 150 hp

the 2,4 D may have been dropped, I am not 100% sure. The 2,4 was the most regular engine up to the 98 model year, when the TDIs was introduced. These days, the 88 and 102 engines are the most popular.

> The one with the 2.5l TDI, in 7-seater > Comfortline trim, is 535,890 Norwegian Crowns!!!! Lets see, divide that by > about 8 and get about $67k! Oh yeah, 45% of that is taxes, so that would > bring it down to about $37k! > > Anyway, I can't read Norwegian,

I can, of course, but I cant find the specific issue. The Comfortline is not the most expensive model, the Business-line with TDI 150 and leather seats costs over 800,000!

> but I can figure out the specs from the > units: > Type: 5 cylinder Diesel > Volume: 2461 cc > Power: 150 hp; 111 kW @ 4000 rpm > Torque: 295 Nm (1900-3000 rpm) > Transmission: 5-spd manual > Brakes: ABS with EDS > > Acceleration: > 0-80 km/hr in 8.4 s > 0-100 km/hr in 12.5 s > 60-100 km/hr in 16.7 s (this one doesn't make since to me, unless they > have to do the whole thing in 5th gear)

Yep, that's acceleration in 5th. Try the same in your Vanagon, it would take forever.

> > > Fuel Economy: > City: .96 l/mil (24.5 U.S. mpg) > Highway: .63 l/mil (37.5 U.S. mpg) > Mixed: .75 l/mil (32.5 U.S. mpg)

The Norwegian word Mil is the same as 10 kms, so the highway consumption is 6,3 liters per 100 kms.

> > > I want one!

Me too! Even if I can get one, its way too expensive for me.

Later, PerL

Btw, how did you get that Norwegian magazine? I see by your email addy that you are connected with Ericsson.