Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:23:17 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: VW Rep visits my Eurovan....
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@umassd.edu>

Richard Golen wrote:

> At 04:26 PM 10/20/1999 +0200, Per Lindgren wrote: > > > > > >Richard Golen wrote: > > > >> You betcha...in a heartbeat! I'd love a 2.5 TDI Eurovan...I just read a > >> report in the latest issue of GUTE FAHRT of a tuned TDI T4 with 136PS! > > > >136hp?? You are aware of the fact that the top notch TDI has 150 hp, dont > you? In > >adition to that, it has 295 Nm@1900 rpm. Compare that to the 140 hp and 240 > >Nm@3000 rpm in the VR6. > > > >To put these numbers to the tarmac, the VR6 needs 13,7 seconds to get to > 62 mph > >from standstill, while the TDI 150 does the same in 12,5. > >The top speed is 174 km/h in the VR6, and 181 km/h in the TDI 150. > > > >The best of it all, the fuel consumption: the VR6 slurps 11,8 liters per > 100 kms > >mixed driving, while the TDI 150 only needs a few drops, 7,3 liters per > 100 kms to > >be exact. > > > >Later, > >PerL > > > > > > This is the German HP Rating "PS" I'm speaking of

Me too!

> which is a bit less than > the US HP rating...however I wonder if some of the difference there is the > fact that the torque curves/horsepower are modified in the van > versions...

Very much so. The VR6 engine has 174 hp in Europe and 170 hp in the US, while the Eurovan has only 140 hp. The torque is up 5 Nm from 235 to 240, but at a greatly reduced rpm, 3000 rpm in the Eurovan vs. 4200 rpm in the Golf/Jetta/Passat/Sharan models.

> for example the 2.5 gas engine is only rated at 110 hp vs. the > Audi version of 135 hp, but the 2.5 engine in the T4 has a greater torque > than the 2.5 in the Audi.

What Audi? There has never been any Audi with bigger 5-cyl engine than 2,3 here in Europe. Of course, the 5-cyl Audis was offered with everything between 90 and 315 hp, so its hard to compare without taslking about any specific engine. The SA 2,6 was never available in Europe in any car, AFAIK.

PerL 87 Syncro 112i