Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:16:18 -0500
From:         Bill Johnson <bjohns@DTX.NET>
Subject:      Re: How to operate the temp control
Comments: To: Laura Olson <lovanney@SALAMANDER.COM>

Laura,

The 82 vanagon was not measured in horse power but in oxen power. The OXS is to let you know that the oxen are ready to work for you. <G> The OXS is for oxygen sensor. This means that you have the California model.

The knobs are as follows, using ABCD from the top. A= air distribution lever.. B= Temperature control lever C= Fresh Air distribution D= Passenger roof air (if you have it)

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: Laura Olson <lovanney@SALAMANDER.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 12:54 PM Subject: How to operate the temp control

Okay, here goes.

After six weeks of Vanagon ownership and reading the posts on the list, I am ready to ask my first questions. I am new to this fraternity of VW owners but I've always been a wannabe and finally got the chance after divorce (I had a HUSBAND who would never have understood the fascination) and spending all Spring and the first part of Summer searching the web and classifieds of Midwest cities. I was patient and one finally showed up only 15 miles away. It was at a tiny used car and ATV dealership and the guy had no knowledge of or interest in VWs. He couldn't find the battery when it wouldn't start. Anyway, I have an 82 Westy automatic and it runs and I love it. I just drive around smiling and my kids say, "Mom got her hippie van." (Sorry to use the V word). Unfortunately, it came with no repair records or owner's manual. I have a friendly mechanic who is willing to learn and to use The Bus Depot for parts who has done some small repairs for me. It has 128,000 miles on the odometer and a recent rebuild with "VW of Canada" on the engine. But I have these nagging little questions. How DO the heater/vent controls work? I have figured out that if I push all four levers to the right, it is warm and all four to the left, it is cool, but what are the individual levers for? I have figured out how to run the frig in all three modes :-), but my sink pump doesn't work. I filled the tank from the inside as I don't have a key for the outside and I hear that is a no-no, besides being a pain. Then the pump didn't work. I called fellow listee, Jim Fritz (thanks Jim, for introducing me to the list), here in my little town and he says either the pump is bad or the fuse. I have no desire to go messing with the fuses with no manual and I hate to spend money for a pump if it is just a fuse. I don't want to buy the Bentley manual when I won't be able to understand or use much of it (Should I have it anyway?), but I would like to be able to fix the little things, like the pump. I am reasonably handy, but don't even look at auto motors and such. One other question, what does OXS mean on the indicator lights?

TIA, Laura Olson Decorah, Iowa '82 Vanagon '92 Mazda MPV (hey, I'm a soccer mom)