Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:20:59 -0700
From:         "T.P. Stephens" <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pushrod tube wires

At 10:27 PM 10/20/99 EDT, you wrote: >Volks, > > Buttoning everything up and ready to adjust my valves I went back thru check >list and realized I had not installed the retaining wires for the push rods. > 1 Its not extremly clear how they go on but feel like I gotem on right. > 2 What in the world is the pupose of them, they dont look like they do a >thing, are they still called for? > Maybe I dont have them exactly right cause they dont appear to do much..

If every push rod tube end has a piece of that wire resting against the rim to hold it in place so it cannot migrate back out, you have them installed properly. The ends of the wires should rest in the slot of the block that mounts the rocker shafts. Make sure that the wire does not enter the tube and foul the push rod. The beauty of this design is you do not have to pull the heads to replace the stock tubes and/or seals or lifters. But if you don't replace the keeper wires properly, you may well lose the engine when the tube migrates out and you lose your oil.

I suspect that without them they would not move but not putting on the wires is an experiment I don't want to try with my or my clients engines.

Doktor Tim Maintenance Repair and Restoration of European Vehicles San Juan Island, WA