Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 1999 07:00:10 -0700
From:         "T.P. Stephens" <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: ["Increase the HP, up to 45%

At 04:02 AM 10/21/99 MDT, you wrote: >Robert: > I think its great that you are considering a way to share your >engine/suspension ideas with others without charging for more than your >material expenses. That said, I also believe that a dyno test is called for >so that your engine improvements can be measured instead of "claimed". If I >remember correctly, you originally stated that your horsepower gains were >(gu)estimated. Unless/until you quantify your work, it and your CD-ROM will >be BS to some, and more entertainment than education to others. While I don't >necessarily dis-belive your claims, I do want to see more facts (HP and torque >at various RPM's like in car magazine articles). I don't know what dyno time >cost. Maybe you can charge more for your CD-ROM to offset that expense. > >Cary Chiang

My experience has been that if you spend an extra 10% of time/money on any endeavour, you increase the quality of the result by a large margin. Got a 95% success rate with the current procedure? Add just a bit more time, a bit more caution, a bit more thought and you will jump that success rate to 99% or better.

Do the job right, then charge what it costs to do it that way. THAT'S VALUE. The principal can be used to turn an idle curiosity into a work of substance.

This proposed CD is an excellent idea. Gee, if you charge enough to make a little profit, you might even have the incentive to do another one and the value to everyone can grow by orders of magnitude. That's how a college dropout can become Chief Big Muck Muck at Microsoft.

Doktor Tim Maintenance Repair and Restoration of European Vehicles San Juan Island, WA