Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:13:24 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Volkswagen Mini Van
Comments: To: Joel Shortlidge <shortlid@EXPERT.CC.PURDUE.EDU>

> This web page is done by a engineering group and has a > step by step > alignment process for the Vanagon with pics! Are these > procedures right > for the Syncro? > http://www.ingallseng.com/vans/vwvans.html

uh, folks .... no reflection on Joel (either of us), but those instructions on that web page are ... well ... wrong. the pictures aren't right, and there aren't any rivets to drillout and there is no shock bolt as depicted. they're trying to use generic instructions for our specific vehicles, and unless you're a trained mechanic and able to interpret (read between the pictures), do NOT attempt to set your camber or caster or alignment with those instructions.

also, they are kinda wrong in just the years ...in 1985, the Wolfsburg Limited Editions had a lowered suspension. 30mm lower, i believe. that carried on in the WLE's until 1988, when ALL the GL models (and i think all the buses (NOT VANS!) sold over here were lowered that much). that continued for the rest of the Vanagons. the trick is, with the lowered suspension, the alignment settings are for a bus that is loaded, not empty ... you use the specs for half-load.

and the syncros are even more different. derek drew found some errors in the bentley specs, so syncro folks would do well to find derek's article in the archives and look at it.

so be careful out there ... just cause it's on the internet doesn't mean it's right. and it's not the things you don't know that'll kill you ... it's the things you know that are wrong! :) <shamelessly stolen from someone's sig file>

unca joel (i could be wrong. but it ain't likely! ;)