Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 1999 21:07:51 -0400
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      BBTT2 follow-up, t-shirts
Comments: To: type2@type2.com, pavanagon@onelist.com

Thanks to all who came out to Busses by the Trail last weekend. I thought it was a wonderful weekend and aside for one negative comment regarding the campground's policy of charging admission for visitors, everyone said they had a good time. Once again, we lucked out with the weather.

The pictures (http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/bbtt/bbtt2/) don't tell the whole story, but you get the idea. Here's a quick synopsis:

Friday we just got settled in and tried to find level campsites for those that came in late. Every time I turned around, another VW pulled in. A far cry from the 8 vehicles we had last year.

The campground had provided us with a truckload of firewood at no extra charge, so we had a nice roaring fire going to keep warm. Thanks to all who added to the firewood pile upon my request (before knowing the campground had the firewood for us).

Saturday, the caravan got off to a later start than the intended 10AM departure. I guess VW people like to sleep in. :-) Also, getting twenty-some vehicles organized takes a bit more time than the six or seven last year.

Anyway, we took off and crammed into the gas station so folks running on fumes could fill up. It also made for an interesting photo-op. Next stop was the farmer's market....they had no idea what they were in for. 30-40 people streamed in to buy apples, pumpkins (for the carving contest), baked goods, and other goodies. When everyone had had their fill of farm goods, we continued with the major driving portion including foliage, covered bridges, and twisty back roads.

The next stop was the Clover Hill Winery. Their location was ideal for a picnic and people stopped in the winery store to sample and purchase bottles of wine. The winery offered a tour, but we had to keep moving. Finally, we ambled back to the campground with a few folks branching off to find grocery stores, etc.

A small contingent of hikers left for Pulpit Rock shortly after the caravan returned.

The potluck was great with a big variety of foods. We cooked over the open fire, despite having to fight off thick smoke and losing a few burgers and hot dogs in the fire. The prize for the most creative potluck food went to the quesadillas (sp?).

After dinner, we had a short "awards ceremony" for all kinds of prizes including oldest & newest bus, oldest & youngest camper, hard-luck story, etc.

Sunday morning we fired up the griddles early to get ready for the pancake breakfast. Not content with instant pancake mix, Larry Johnson whipped up 5 double-recipe batches of pancake batter from scratch. With the help of Frank Parsick (ever the Boy Scout..."flame's too hot"..."too much oil"..."don't flip it yet"), Dave Parsons, and a few others, we got everyone fed.

People started taking off after breakfast since some had a ways to go to get home.

There were 32 VWs (according to the register) and even some folks who had a VW last year, sold it, but came for the camaraderie anyway. Also, we had a number of people who had never been to a VW event and are now "converts."

With that in mind, we'll have to do it again next year! Keep Oct 14-16, 2000 or possibly the following weekend open if you want to come.

OK, T-shirts... Thanks to all who purchased shirts already. We met our goal of covering the campout costs with the T-shirt sales. Therefore, we didn't have to ask LiMBO to kick in any money (although LiMBO generously donated 2 memberships and 4 LiMBO T-shirts that were given away at the awards ceremony). All proceeds from further sales will now be donated back to LiMBO.

We have 12 size L and 6 XL BBTT shirts remaining. They are $10 each with $3.20 shipping for any number of shirts. The logo can be seen on my web page, and the shirts also have the event of the date. They're light tan 100% cotton with blue silk screening. E-mail me if interested and we'll get these to a good home...otherwise my entire wardrobe will consist of these. :-)

-Karl