Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:25:50 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 heads on 2.1 engine. Why (Are they a possible RISK??)
Comments: To: Vantaztik@aol.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Roger,

Just a few thought...

>> I am using 1.9 heads on a 2.1 engine because it raises the compression, thus giving more power.

I believe that the valves and ports might be smaller than the 2.1L heads (I could be wrong though, But If VW logic holds then when the cc's were increased on the 2.1L the valves and the ports were enlarged to handle the increase in displacement, better cooling with Increased water passages to handle the added heat from increased displacement...Hence the LARGER Air distribution box, larger Air runners, larger throttle body and other changes to the cases.

Are 1.9 heads more prone to cracks then the 2.1L??

These need to be fully checked out before bolting the 1.9L heads on.

>>>My mechanic has done this once before and the engine had 180 lbs of compression.

What is the normal compression of a NEW engine??? Do not go by the compression ratio alone.

The Bentley says you can go up to 189, so this should be OK, just use higher octane gas.

>>> I drove the van that had this done after 6000 trouble free miles, and it has noticeably more power.

Could it just be you were comparing a "tired engine" to the NEW rebuild??? Or a Vanagon that has other "common problems"????

>>I am also getting a performance exhaust system from Fast German Auto,

IMHO This exhaust has inadequate bracing that led me to return to the stock exhaust that has good bracing.

The stock set up is similar to the Porsche 914 Bursch racing exhaust 4 to 2 to 1. Plus I have heard reports of difficult installs...

>> And will use Castrol 5/50 synthetic after the engine break-in.

Start using the oil only after 5000 miles to give time for the ring to properly seat... I use Red line 5W-30 change it at 10,000 miles (RL recommendations) Got a power increase with no adverse effects. The counterweights on the crank keeps the crank from flexing.

>>>I am staying away from big valve heads, I agree BUT work needs to be done to the stock heads to improve flow, proper valve job, castings clean up, match porting, stronger retainer, better valve locks.

>>> hot cams,

A small change in the stock cam can make a world of difference in the top end power WITHOUT sacrifice low end power My .70 fifth gear would pull from 35 MPH to 85+ (fast as I have been in it so far) with the modifications I have made (now with a fixed ECU the power should be a lot better). I am changing the gearbox to a .457 ring and pinion and back to a stock fifth .85.

See above...

>>and also sacrifice reliability.

Oh I beg to differ, My improvements should (could double the engine life) lengthen engine life all the changes were to STRENGTHEN weak spots NOT create them...

Robert