Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Oct 1999 17:56:28 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Take a second look at the Dyno Tests Kyle provided ....
Comments: To: vanagon@volkswagen.org
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

> All sounds well and good, and I am not knocking anything here, but a 2.0L > inline four does 115hp and 122/135lbs torque stock. Still far better > power/CC than the Vanagon. A tricked out 2.0L 8V I4 can make 145 to 150 hp > and a 16V I4 can produce 170hp if you trick it out too! >

I could also trick out the engine. Add bigger pistons, increase the stroke, increase the compression, port the heads and add bigger valves OR better yet get the kit that replaces the heads, pistons and cylinders, crank, rods that increases the displacement to 2.5L, change the VW FI to CB Performance 48 mm dual-dual throat closed loop FI system, add the computer controlled ignition and HAVE 200+ HORSEPOWER. BUT the power band would not be where I spend most of my driving and it would not increase nor maintain current gas mileage (Remember one of my goals was to make the engine MORE efficient and keep the stock appearance) I have tried to eliminate the weak points of the Wasserboxer.

> The 145hp 2.0L motor in my Rabbit Pickup is fantastic on a light 900kg > vehicle - I certainly would not want to install it in any Vanagon as it > makes all of it's power above 4500 RPM (stock 3200 RPM). There is always > a trade off for souping up an engine - you get power at the expence of > torque. This is why a 200hp V8 mustang with tonnes of torque weighing > twice as much as my rabbit pickup will beat my Rabbit PU from 0 to 50km/h - > strange seeing that it only has 55hp more... Once I get my engine into the > RPM range that makes the power I am laughing! >

I did not build my engine to RACE others, just more efficient ans last longer, I knew the power would likewise increase.

> Now that you have 112hp what is your new torque valves as compaired to an > original 2.1 boxer? Is it still strong at 3000RPM to 4000RPM where you > need it? The rocker arms should not do that much to the torque as it is > only lifting the valves higher. Adding a cam will hurt torque as well as > most other mods that affect timing. > > Somthing to think about!

Read my message again... I did not say that I had 112 HP, I stated that when only the 1.4 ratio rockers were added to the stock engine the HP jumped 22 HP. This is WITH ROCKERS ALONE I have done more modifications see the list below. I was just reminding the doubters of the "You cannot increase the HP of the Wasserboxer club" That the rockers added 22, HOW MUCH MORE will my changes be...

Oh, and low end torque and power a concern?? With a problem in my computer, I was still able to go from 30 MPH to over 85MPH with my .483 R&P and .70 Fifth gear...WHILE IN FIFTH...

With a fixed computer It should be just as strong if not better...Plus i have switched the ring and pinion to a .457 and back to the stock five speed gear ratios

I built the engine to my driving habits: Get to the speed limit fast...and be strong enough to take some pedal stomping once in a while...

I also wanted to add simple but effective improvements to the engine, one because I like it, two for others that want some additional pep but do not want to go the engine swap route and possibly be doomed to constant fiddling to get it to work and other unforeseen trouble. The changes I have suggested can be done: some /all /even more

Robert