Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Oct 1999 17:28:11 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker@URONRAMP.NET>
Subject:      recall notice for air conditioning ducting, 86-91

well, i get this red-outlined envelope in the mail today, from Volkswagen United States, Inc. <when did they change from Volkswagen of America??> 1601 Clay Ave. Detroit, MI 48211 <thought they were still in Auburn Hills or Sterling Heights!??>

anyway, it says: ---------------------------------------------- September 1999

Dear Volkswagen Owner:

You may have been previously notified of the action addressed in the attached notification letter; however, our records indicate that your vehicle has not yet been corrected. Please contact your dealer and arrange for an appointment. The repair will, of course, be free of charge.

In the interest of safety we urge you to visit your dealer without delay.

Volkswagen of America, Inc. <so then who's VWUS,Inc. up above??> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

so why haven't i been to the dealers?? cause when my air conditioning ducting fell down and hit me on the shoulder, VW wouldn't admit there was a problem and wouldn't fix it. so i fixed it myself. a year or so later, they came out with this recall. i'm not about to go to the bozo dealer here in town and let him mess up my epoxy and aluminum sheet and FOUR screws fix! :)

but for those of you who are original owners (as i am) of your 1986 to 1991 buses, and have NOT had this recall done, or if you are 2nd owner (they want to know if i've sold it and if so, to whom) and are pretty sure the fix has not been done, here's the text of the notification letter: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Volkswagen of America, Inc. 3800 Hamlin Road Auburn Hills, MI 48326 Tel. (248) 340-5000

NOTIFICATION

February, 1994

Subject: Recall Campaign SU

Dear Volkswagen Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Volkswagen has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 1986 -1991 model Volkswagen Vanagon and Syncro vehicles equipped with factory-installed air conditioning.

Our records show that your vehicle is affected by this voluntary recall action.

DEFECT DESCRIPTION Volkswagen has determined that operation of vehicles on rough roads could, over time, cause breakage of the plastic mounting material used to attach the air conditioning flow ducts to the roof. If this happens, the center air flow duct could separate from its attachment and fall down, which could cause injury to passengers sitting in the center seat of the vehicle. It could also distract the driver.

REMEDY Your Volkswagen service technician will secure the air flow ducts by installing a reinforcement bracket. Brackets are available at Volkswagen repair facilities.

YOUR ACTION Please contact the Service Department of your authorized Volkswagen retailer for an appointment to have the necessary work performed as soon as possible. The repair will take less than one hour and will, of course, be free of charge.

PRECAUTIONS If you notice that the air flow duct mounted to the ceiling is loose, please contact your authorized Volkswagen retailer immediately and make sure that no passenger is seated in the center seat below the air duct until the repair is performed.

SERVICE PROBLEM HELP If your authorized Volkswagen retailer fails or is unable to remedy the defect free of charge within a reasonable time, please call or write to:

Volkswagen United States, Inc. Attn: Customer Relations 3F02-SU 3800 Hamlin Road Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2855 Toll-free Telephone: (800) 822-8987

If you still cannot obtain satisfaction, you may file a complaint with:

Administrator National Highway Traffic Safety Administration US Department of Transportation 400 Seventh Street, SW Washington, DC 20590 Telephone: (800) 424-9393 (Washington, DC, area: 202-366-0123)

We regret any inconvenience this matter may cause; however, as part of our commitment to ensure your safety and maintain your satisfaction with our product, we would like to repair your vehicle as soon as possible.

Thank you for driving a Volkswagen.

Sincerely,

Andreas H. Steglich Product Compliance Manager ------------------------------------------------