Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:51:04 EDT
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: bleeding cooling system and sealing hoses.
Comments: To: volksman@ENTERACT.COM

Rob; I use a similar method. I drilled out the valves on an old expansion tank cap. That way there is no chance of damaging the valves on the good cap. I use gravity to feed the system with a five gallon "pickle" bucket. I must admit I am still trying to perfect the procedure.

This weekend I am working on a nuisance leak on my 86. Ever since I replaced the distribution pipe, and it's associated hoses, it has had an intermittent drip. It did not matter how tight I cranked down on the hose clamp. Another case of preventive maintenance gone awry. Also that orange coolant makes the slightest leak stand out with a bright fluorescent crust at the joint. The sealing procedure I have had good luck with is to wipe a thin layer of Permatex Super Gray on the contact areas before pushing the hose on. The clamp only required snugging up.

Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis<Kernersville,NC>86 VW crewcab;60 T-5 Coupe

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 23:02:01 -0500 Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@ENTERACT.COM> writes: >I thought I would share my little trick in removing air from the >cooling >system. > >Forgive me if this has been discussed before, or a similar idea. > >I use a wind shield washer tank from a rabbit with the built in pump. >It is my new Vanagon radiator fill devise. >I've found having the van "assume the position" Easy now, 15 or so >inches in the air in the front. Like Bently calls for. >Fill the tank with mix of antifreeze, insert the small hose in the 8 >MM >bleed tap, power it up with 12 volts, fill the radiator up. Replace >bleed bolt, proceed with Bob Bently's method. > >This will greatly reduce the time it normally takes. > >Rob

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.