Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Oct 1999 13:49:41 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker@URONRAMP.NET>
Subject:      Re: power
Comments: To: Rian Mullins <rian.mullins@MAIL.COM>

From: Rian Mullins <rian.mullins@MAIL.COM> > I, for one, am very grateful to have the slowest car on the road.

i'm not exactly "grateful", but i'm used to it. i am grateful, however, for the comfort and cargo space in my buses ... i get into my sister's chrysler mini-van and all i can think about is how cramped it is. same in the SUV's out there: nothing comes close to the elbow-room, hip-room, shoulder-room, and headroom of my vanagons. and nothing else is as easy to walk back between the front seats (while someone else is driving, of course! :) driving vw buses for the last 30 years seems to have settled them into my personality and i don't get in much of a hurry any more about anything. driving beetles and squarebacks prior to the buses didn't hurt much in that regard, either. ;)

> I am the only person i know who doesn't have to check their speedometer > when they spot a cop. (Maybe if I had a speedometer it would be > different . . . )

i still check, cause the buses are VERY good radar reflectors and that bozo will pick ME up before he'll pick up the corvette that just passed me doing 80 in a 55 zone. so i usually try to stay at or slightly below the speed limit, just to keep from getting clocked at 57 mph in a 55 mph zone by some overzealous deputy who's trying to make his quota this week.

> I am considered a very safe driver.

yes, me, too. the screams of my passengers will attest to that. :)

> Little do they know that when I had my 16v GTI 10 years ago, my > insurance was $3500 a year.

uhhh ... you sound like my nephew with his honda crx ... who is NOT considered a safe driver!! ;)

> I love maxing out at 35 going up mountain passes; I feel like the > little engine that could.

ah, so you also chant "I think I can, I think I can, ..." as you go up mountains?? :) i just kinda like watching the scenery and listening to the engine so i don't overrev it ... did that once, coming down a mountain from Raton, NM toward Amarillo, TX ... got the speedo needle on the 71 bus down between the turn signal lights. figured it had to be over 100 mph, or right near it. downhill, foot to the floor, with a tailwind. didn't realize it til i turned my head to look at something in the back and heard the engine more clearly. slowed WAAAY down kinda quickly. didn't seem to bother the engine at all ... sold the bus about 50,000 miles later. :( good ol' bus.

when you have a vw bus, you can appreciate a lot. if you keep it running right. :)

unca joel