Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:20:36 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CYBERMESA.COM>
Subject:      Bras replaced by 3M

While watching all the Winston 400 racing stuff Sunday afternoon, there was cut over to a shop where they were talking about the construction of the front ends of the the cars...the body mostly, and the paint jobs...what type paints that would stand the abuse, sponsor decals and what happens to them near 200 MPH, and what is done to make them stay put and not peel off, especially if there is a ding or nick that occurs in the decal material, something that often would occur during the race.

Well, what caught my attention is that the 3M company makes a tough, clear plastic laminate that racers are applying over the decals and the fronts of the race vehicles. This material protects the paint, doesn't chip...it has the ability to absorb some impact force. It has UV rejection qualities and protects the paint from oxidation and fading. It is applied just like you would apply window tint. Peel off the backing, spritz the surface of the paint with water, and the back of the 3M sheet, then apply, removing bubbles with a window tinting squeegee. It can be removed when desired, much like window tint.

It occurred to me that this material would be ideal to use on the blunt fronts of the vanagons, especially if you have a new paint job.

The clear stuff could replace those old opaque bras altogether.

Hhmmmnn!! That raises some other interesting possibilities!!

Both applications might be good

(I know...I'm a chauvinist...but I love it!!)

John Rodgers

"Driver of 88 GL which happens to have an engine that is trashed at the moment.