Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:20:52 -0500
From:         "Roy O." <keepsake@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Bra??
Comments: To: "Hans V." <hanzer@HOTMAIL.COM>

My '87 Westfalia has had a bra modestly covering it's front end since the day I bought the vehicle new. I remove the bra for cleaning occasionally, whenever I wash the van. There has never been any serious build-up of sand or grit between the bra and the van that would scratch the paint. I don't dry the bra after rain. After twelve years of use , the paint on the front of the vehicle is just fine. Due to chafing from the bra though, the fake chrome paint around the cheap, plastic grill has worn in spots.

After twelve years the bra is showing some wear and tear. I've replaced a few of the sheet metal tabs that grip around the door opening to hold the bra on the vehicle. These tabs have deteriorated into rust dust over the years. There are also a few nicks in the material due to the bra valiantly defending my vehicle against stones, hail and hard-bodied insects. I've also replaced the bug screening. I recommend getting a bra with no bug screen that would cover your vehicle's headlights. It's much easier to wipe your headlights clean without the bug screening over them.

For cold weather enthusiasts who cover the rad during winter driving, the bra excels here. Fabricate a piece of black, exterior sheet vinyl upholstery material sized to cover the rad and fresh air intake. Sew Velcro pieces to it and insert it between the bra and your vehicle when installing the bra. This helps your interior heater to operate at full potential as well as giving the van that Darth Vader look.

Roy O. '87 Westfalia ('till death us do part)

-----Original Message----- From: Hans V. <hanzer@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 8:33 PM Subject: Vanagon Bra??

|Has anyone out there had long term use effects from installing a bra ? |I painted my van last year, always wax it etc, but a few new stone chips |have me thinking about it. what about moisture dampness ? Do they dryout ? |Effects on paint long term ,rust buildup etc etc. THANKS. | |______________________________________________________ |Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com |