Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Oct 1999 06:35:13 +0300
From:         Juha Koivisto <juha.koivisto@TEPCOMP.FI>
Subject:      You could be fooled (story of low oil pressure)

This happens here in TURKU (FINLAND) October 1999. I tell this story to warn buyers of used VW Vanagon even from authorised VW dealer. My friend bought -90 Synchro 1,6 TD ($8000 USD) from Airiston Auto Oy . Short after (few days) he noticed oil pressure warning buzzer and led starts to alarm on the road. He drove car back and complains this. They said 'ok, the pressure sensor has gone, we'll change it'. The car was under service two days and both sensors, regulator and the dynamic pressure sensing pcb was changed. Then it suddenly is fixed. My friend asked if they had loosen some wire to solve the problem (as for joke)... they said 'Absolutely not..now it is ok'. And everything seems to be ok..until.. About month later my friend changes oil and filter and noticed that there is some wire loose from alternator and wrapped to harness. He asked me if I knew what it was..and I knew (thanks to the list and Bentely manual I own). We connect the wire and..here we are again..buzzer and led alarms. Technical background: If this wire from alternator is loose dynamic oil pressure sensor system does not know motor is running above 2000 rpm and don't check the status of higher sensor while lower pressure sensor is still active => everything seems to work fine. My friend go back to the service and asks if they have fixed the defect really. After long negotiations they admit fooling and say that they know all time that the bearing surfaces of intermediate axle had worn out and it has to be machined. This wearing causes loosing of oil pressure. They promise to fix it (this time other way) and give him other car meanwhile. The thing that is still in my mind... How many cars have been sold from this shop and others all round the world fixed lile this? Is this common method (at VW) to fix it? Comments welcome!

Juha Koivisto 88 Vanagon (Caravelle) 1,6TD (old school bus with 9 seats) TURKU, FINLAND

[text/html]