Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:32:55 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Mileage at altitude - responses/experiences requested
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@SCOTT.NET>

Not to mention that most mileage at altitude has two components.... Uphill and Downhill... It is a no brainer that if you measure your mileage on a downhill stretch you are going to get high gas mileage. And of course the reverse is true for uphill. Now if you have about an equal amount of up hill and down hill you might expect that the negative effect of gravity on your gas mileage going up hill would be balanced by the positive effect of gravity on your gas mileage going down hill. But that is not the case. I expect you will get low gas mileage figures even if the amount of uphill and down hill is equal... not only because with less oxygen at altitude you will be running rich, but also because the gains in downhill mileage will not totally make up for the lost gas mileage going up hill... that's because you have to use your brakes going down hill to keep your speed under control. Bill 90 Westy Syncro Lake Tahoe -----Original Message----- From: John Rodgers <inua@SCOTT.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, October 28, 1999 8:18 PM Subject: Re: Mileage at altitude - responses/experiences requested