Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:32:23 -0700
From:         "T.P. Stephens" <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      DM: Dead Dynos II

For Part I, see "DM: Dead Dynosaurs in the form of carbon" __________________________________________________________

While ambling back to the pits, I thought of other data that might be helpful in proving or disproving any particular theory or claim or testamonial or existing data or memory that was in hand up to and including prior nights research of the hot rod and bike magazines lying about the abode.

Back at the pits, Gas Master and crew were scurring to be ready to roll their Gas Guzzler into the que. I notice briefly from before and now more due to the interaction going on a fella who was leaning on the tires at the side of the pit. At that moment it was huddle up time. The whole crew assembled around this now acutely interesting fellow. It became quickly apparent that this was the Man with Class behind the Master of Gas. While cloistered where the spys couldn't hear, every now and then one of the crew would go back and do some checking or tweaking on the car then return to the huddle. This went on for some time till the whole crew went back to the car for final pre-flight inspection of EVERTHING AGAIN, except for the Man with the Plan and the Man with the Foot.

At cue time for the row of cars to the line, the the Master of Gas heads off with the crew and guess who stays in the pit and stifles a yahn? Of course, the Man with Class. No strain. And you could see it in the crew as well. No beheaded chickens amonst this group at all.

With everyone running off to see the run, I move myself in the position of best probability of opportunity, near the cooler. Sho' nuf, the Man with Class reaches striking distance of a potential pest like me and acknowledges my presents with a pat "howdy do" and I return the favor as lead in to my first question. I received about half the data I was after till moments before the run when, with unhurried haste (i.e., CLASS), he headed to the other end of the pit to watch the race.

I didn't risk losing my coveted position. I stayed put. Within 3 or 4 seconds of the green, the Man with Class turned and jumped down off the pile of tires he'd climbed up on with a smile on his face. Competition burned out on the line. The Master of Gas just shut down and coasted across the line in the time of a 50 Chevy in-line 6 with Power Glide. No strain on the car either, this time.

It took about another 5 minutes for the crew to make it back to the pit which I used to obtain the last half of the data I was after and everthing else that was volunteerd. Things like, Valvoline has more anti-foam addative than others, particularly the racing oil, which has less detergents than street oil, and high single weight vicosity oils have more Dead Dynosaurs in them then his current favorite, Valvoline 20/50 racing oil. Now where had I heard that before? Oh, yes, the MIT Phd'd Dead Dynosaur Engineer I'd met in a prior technical position.

I also found out the proportion of Octane Boost to add to the current Monkey Pee available at the unleaded pumps that the Master of Class used in his street bike to attack the same problem I was having mit mein maschine.

Having obtained an answer to my question, "Vos ist beste?", as beste I could, I mounted das maschine und headed back towerd the nearest FLAPS for a can of Moroso to begin the experiment and get more data on the final ride home with great optimism for an excellent result. At the nearest brand name pump of currently available Monkey Pee, I added the advised proportion of octane boost and filled the tank with the highest octane unleaded kidney juice avaliable. I checked the oil. Dang, there's that foam again. This was the third brand change I'd made trying to cut back on the foam. I'd went from Castrol to Pennzoil to Quaker State. I danged well knew from the drippings of my sponge of knowledge I had obtained that day what the next fill would be.

(to be continued)

>>>The carbon deposit buildup that one seems are more likely gummy tars from >>>longer molecules created in the combustion process. That's why stuff like >>>Marvel Mystery oil is popular...it's a solvent that removes that crap (or at >>>least claims to). >>> >>>-Karl >>> >>>Karl and Kristina Bloss, Trexlertown, PA

Doktor Tim Maintenance Repair and Restoration of European Vehicles San Juan Island, WA