Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:50:45 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker@URONRAMP.NET>
Subject:      FFFrydaye Phoolleries ... Installment 3.0.0.0.0

whatzat? one more? oh, awright. :) most of you don't know that lots of famous people wrote musicals about buses and vw's and such ..unfortunately, none were ever made into productions that we get to see. however, some were adapted to less interesting subjects and became instant hits. one such example is The Sound of Music, which was a watered-down version of the original The Sound of Mufflers, a musical about a southern german family who invented volkswagens and drove them around the Alps, bringing joy and happiness to the people of the region. never made it into production. change the central character from a Calamity Jane type of mechanic/inventer to some frilly nanny, throw in some love interest and a few nasty Nazi's and it became a box-office smash.

well, little did you know that some of the original music was saved! (before it was corrupted by hollywood). and here's one of them ...

My Favourite Things sung by Julius Andrews in the hit musical, The Sound of Mufflers

CV joints greasy with new rubber booties, Bright shiny bumpers for busses' patooties, New Mahle pistons and new piston rings ... These are a few of my favourite things.

Driving with foglights in rain when it drizzles, Breakfast at campouts with bacon that sizzles, Washing my bus and the shine that it brings ... These are a few of my favourite things.

When the gas drips, When the wrench slips, When I am feeling bad ... I just have to think of my favourite things, And then I don't feel so sad!

Driving cross-country on roads never taken, Traveling on instinct, while maps we've forsaken, Watching a hawk with the wind in his wings ... These are a few of my favourite things.

Long conversations 'round campfires in autumn, Watching the kids when they use what you've taught 'em, Ignoring the phone while it rings and it rings ... These are a few of my favourite things.

When the gas drips, When the wrench slips, When I'm feeling bad ... I just have to think of my favourite things, And then I don't feel so sad!

and then there was Showbus! about a fellow who drove a spiffed up split-window bus all around the country, carrying cargo and people hither and yon. couldn't sell the idea. but change the bus to an old wood-burning stern-wheeler riverboat, add a bunch of silly star-crossed lovers and some civil war stuff, and it was a hit (as Showboat). once again, some of the original music survived ...

Ole Man Highway

There's an old man that we call the Highway, That's the old man I want to be ... What does he care if your car's got troubles, What does he care if the toll ain't free?

Old Man Highway, that Old Man Highway, He must know something, but don't say nothing. He just keeps rolling, He keeps on rolling along.

He don't haul taters, He don't haul cotton, And them that hauls 'em is soon forgotten, But old Man Highway, He just keeps rolling along.

You and me, we sweat and strain, Windshields all smeared up with bugs and rain, Climb that hill, at convoy's tail, Go a little fast, and you lands in jail.

I get weary and sick of driving, My legs are aching and my eyes are crying, But Old Man Highway, He just keeps rolling along.