Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:53:19 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker@URONRAMP.NET>
Subject:      FFFFrydaye's Phannytastic Phoolery ... last one, folks!

remember to take notes! there'll be a quiz on Monday!

Hitchhiker's Lament (sung to the tune of Streets of Laredo, or Cowboy's Lament)

As I was out driving one morning for pleasure, My bus and me riding one morning so fair, I spied an old geezer beside of the highway, A pack on his back and his thumb in the air.

There was something about him that gathered my notice, A something familiar, and yet still unseen, A spirit so kindred, I felt in a moment That here but for god's grace was easily me.

I pulled to the shoulder and waved to him friendly, He walked to the bus and he slowly got in. I asked, "Where you headed?" He answered, "Out that way. "And I'm later than usual," he said with a grin.

In talking while riding, he told a sad story Of trading two morrows for one yesterday, And then he admitted that he once had buses, And like his tomorrows, they faded away.

"I once had a camper, a nice sixty-seven, A neat little Microbus rolling along. But the wife and I split up, I needed some money, So I sold it to strangers for nearly a song."

"My fortunes rebounded a year or so later, But by then the buses lost most of their charm. Still I bought me a Breadloaf and learned that I love it, For it still was a Bus and could do me no harm."

"After that, there were others, in lengthy succession. A Vanagon camper I had for a while; A Pickup, a Kombi, a Double-door Panel ... I had always thought I'd be riding in style."

"But fortunes and favors don't stay long at my house. They find better lodging with others some day. When I lost all my money, my job, and my buses, That's when I packed up to try traveling this way."

"As the years added to me, I wandered the country, Searching and seeking and moving along. Unsure of the way that my destiny pulled me, I changed my direction like changing my song."

He talked for a long time to tell his life's story, I listened intently to his sad refrain, For his tale was spell-binding, no matter the sadness, And he spoke as if knowing he'd rebound again.

My exit came up as we rode down the highway So I pulled to the shoulder and bid him farewell. He thanked me profusely and wouldn't take money And waved at me til I had turned down the dell.

And as I was driving, my home road returning, His last words were ringing around in my brain: "Enjoy this nice bus for as long as you have it, You just never know if you'll have one again."