Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:47:03 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Quality muffler for 87 GL
Comments: To: Gary McEachern <glmce@HOTMAIL.COM>

> I'm looking for a muffler for my 87GL. I'd like to buy one that's > equivalent or better than the original VW muffler (Hopefully without paying VW's > price.) > > Any suggestions regarding the better quality brands and brands to avoid > would be greatly appreciated.

Virtually all of the aftermarket 2.1L mufflers I've seen are coming out of South Africa, and are the same ones that VW uses there. They are comparable in quality to the original Leistritz ones sold on U.S. vanagons but a bit cheaper. ($109.95 at my price.)

A while ago, I purchased some stainless steel ones from South Africa, and was able to offer them at the same price. These were the same as the South African non-stainless ones sold here, but had stainless steel bodies (the flanges were not stainless). Still a better muffler for the same money though; in fact even better than stock. These were imported at great shipping expense and took a long time to get, and since sold out.

Recently I found a U.S. source for what appears to be the identical stainless steel muffler. They are labeled as Danish made Dansk mufflers, but they are not. I have spoken to sources in Europe who tell me that Dansk is in fact buying these from the same South African supplier that I was getting them from. I also compared them to the sole remaining stainless steel one that I had on the shelf and it is absolutely identical (visually) in every way. I am not advertising these new "Danish" mufflers as stainless because the importer is clueless as to their original source or composition, so I would want to leave one in water for a while and just make absolutely sure it didn't rust before guaranteeing it. But I'd bet money that these are the exact same stainless mufflers I was getting before.

In any event, they are what I'm shipping now when you order a 2.1L muffler. Price remains $109.95. Worst case, you get original-equipment quality for a lot less money. Best case (and most likely, I think) you get a Stainless Steel body as well.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW