Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Oct 1999 20:13:50 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Eurospec stuff
Comments: To: gholst@RAMBUS.COM

I think this is total BS! The I4s that are in all VWs are smooth as silk, I have owned everything from 1.5L Audi Foxes to 1.8L Rabbits and Jettas to a highly modified 2.0L in my Rabbit Pickup. The 2.0L in my Syncro Double Cab transporter and the 1.8L in my 84 Westie are also smooth as silk. The engines are not the problems, it is the items hanging off these engines.

The motor mounts used in my kits are rubber mounts from the Audi 4000, no fancy or expensive fluid mounts are used. There is zero cab vibration at idle, even when I was experiementing with some radical and "bumpy" cams in my 2.0L. BTW, I have had great luck with a high lift low duration cam that really wakes things up between 3000 and 4500 RPM.

The vibration comes from the exhuast system. My exhaust systems that are in my two demo vans are simple dual outlet Audi 80 manifolds that go into a canister muffler - no cat. There are no rubber hangers used. The bracket is just a piece of metal angle iron that bolts to the exhuast manifold side of the engine and the muffler is welded to it. Some of my customers have experience vibrations at certain RPMs others have not. Many customers have solved their vibration problem by making the exhaust system as solid as possible. I am working on a bracket that bolts to the back of the engine and will provide a solid anchoring point that a round muffler can be clamped to or welded to as part of my next generation kit. This is really the key to being vibration free. Also, if there are any exhaust hangers attached to the frame of your Vanagon, get rid of them. You want the exhaust and engine to move as solid unit.

At 09:59 AM 29/10/1999 -0700, Grant Holst wrote: >Just talked to Kyle at Volks Cafe. He says the VW inline >4 has always had a vibration problem and that is why the jetta >has fluid motor mounts. Unfortunately the fluid mounts won't >work on the Eurospec setup (wrong direction?). >David, what kind of motor mounts do you use at Fast Forward? > >Any other thoughts from the list? >Grant

-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --