Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:03:40 +0200
From:         Pabst Michael <Michael.Pabst@VT.SIEMENS.DE>
Subject:      Re: oil leak
Comments: To: Peter <printstud@bigfoot.com>
Comments: cc: "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Well, after 15k the seal should be ok unless a backyard mechanic installed it. See my experience with a rebuild from VWoA was that after just months it kind of exploded on the freeway with blue smoke all over scaring the family inside to death (they thought it would just burn down). Turned out that bout a quart of 1 piston was gone because VWoA combined pistons/cyls with not matching color codes (the pistons were just too wide for the cyls). Was lucky to find and prove it that way - btw that was the 3rd engine (aircooled) and with the 4th that Westy got sold immediately. Apart from that I fully agree with what Matthew is saying. Have a nice weekend, Michael, Germany