Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Oct 1999 11:33:44 -0300
From:         "T. Thompson" <tonyt_eye@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Power Measurement and Comparison of Modifications

While I agree that a dyno test is a comprehensive measure of an engines performance and that the proposed baseline test and then retesting with the mods is a great idea, I'm often surprised at how many people will take a manufactureres claims as gospel without challenging them.

A very simple but effective measure of power can be obtained by measuring your 0-60 times. Without sounding like a physics professor the concept is as follows:

1. Power=Force*Velocity 2. Force=Mass * Acceleration 3. Acceleration=2*distance/time^2 4. Distance=0.50*Velocity*time (Since Initial Speed=0)

Substituting all the above equations gives you

Power=Mass* Velocity^2/Time

Now if you are going 0 to 60 I can make Velocity a constant And if I stick in a couple of constants so you can work in lbs and HP (rather than kg, Newtons and Watts) The formula actually gets pretty simple:

Horsepower=0.437*Weight/t

Where Weight is in lbs and t is the time to go from 0 to 60 MPH

Road and Track listed a 4 speed, 1.9litre Vanagon at a test weight of 3635lbs with a 0-60 time of 18.30seconds. The power as calculated above is 0.437*3635/18.30=86.80HP Actual Power was 82 HP.

My 85 Westy with an automatic weighs 1980kg (4366lbs) with 2 persons aboard and takes 23 seconds to get to 60 which results in 82.95Hp

Now before anyone gets upset remember this is not the same as dyno test since a whole bunch of simplification and averaging out is used to calculate this power, the important point to see is that it is easy to measure the effect of a modification yourself. The trick to this is measuring the speed with:

1. The same weight (should be obvious) 2. Do the test more than once on the same road in the same ambient conditions and preferably by averaging the results of 2 runs in opposite directions to minimize effects of grade and wind. 3. Be honest with yourself about speed maybe put a mark on the speedometer which indicates the speed you are timing to or bring a person to time.

Fortunately our vans are quite slow so timing errors are minimized, can you imagine trying to accurately time a 10% improvement in power in a 911. Note that time, weight and power are all equally dependent on each other so that a 10% increase in power will result in a 10% faster time. So will reducing the weight by 10%, I'm looking again at that non operational 300lb air conditioner back there.

The last comment I'll make is that unless you are drag racing another van these figures can't be used to compare one van to another. Thats because we all have different driving styles, gearboxes, tire sizes etc. The figures can be used to determine if a change has made a difference RELATIVE to your own baseline. I believe 0-60 times are a good measure of how you perciive the performance of the vehicle since its represents the real life situations of accelerating at full power through the gears.

Tony