Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Oct 1999 12:22:50 -0500
From:         John Benditt <JBenditt@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Have tire question, also working on a amphibious Vanagon!

Hi everyone!

New to the list!

I own an 87 syncro. Two tires sustained side wall damage.

Identical new tires are available but there is an 1/8" tread difference between the old and new tires.

So, the question is, can I get by with getting the 2 new tires or do I have to replace all 4 tires? I was under the impression that the Viscous coupling does provide limited slip why would it cause a Viscous coupling ware problem?

One comment on my Syncro. What a weird vehicle! Only the Germans can design such a weird vehicle and sustain a high level of quality!

Also what is the biggest off road tires that can be installed on the 14" rims?

I bought the Vanagon to make it amphibious as a catamaran using pontoons that store on the roof and ride a track coming down the sides. When one goes onto the water the vehicle would sit low in the water and then the winch driven tracked pontoons assembly would lift the vehicle totally out of the water. There are milestones to accomplish like making the pontoons light enough so the vehicle does not become too top heavy. That's a trick!. 300 lbs per pontoon is acceptable. so there will be 600 lbs on an aluminum track assembly encircling the van. I wanted to put in a 3.6 Ford V6 engine with aluminum head and manifolds to get 200+ hp in the Vanagon so I can ski behind it on the water. Also was considering super charging the watervoxer engine with a blower to get 150 hp.

Now that I am a Syncronaut. Also thinking about becoming a Cybernaut. What will I become if I combine the two? I'm also a amphibiousnaut on a really nice amphibious aluminum recumbent bicycle. :-)

I would sincerely like to thank everyone who responds, in advance!

John