Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Oct 1999 11:16:19 -0700
From:         Kent Christensen <lkchris@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW Marketing in U.S.A.

Don't agree with notion VW markets poorly in USA. Fact is, they're winning marketing awards and selling the vehicles they sell in growing volumes. That's with cars, of course, and at the low end they must sell vehicles made in Mexico in order to compete. Americans will only pay for German-made at medium to high price levels, and some Passats are being sold as well.

Regarding pickup trucks, which is what we're talking about, I think also there is a large culture factor. A clue can be found in studying Toyota's attempt to compete in the USA full-size pickup market. They're not going to have (and haven't) made much of a dent until NASCAR lets them in or otherwise hell freezes over. Closer to topic, my experience is that in Germany the national truck is not a pickup but rather an enclosed van. (It might be something like the Caddy in the UK.) Don't think you'll see that many of the drop-side vehicles over there (especially compared to vans) in commercial use anyway, and I doubt the pickups-as-second-cars culture has arrived yet. Also, beyond 4 of the 900 folks on this list, no one is going to buy one in the USA. VW tried once.

Finally, and I just posted some information to this effect, Americans can't afford pickup trucks made in Europe. Leaving aside the "bigger is better" mentality for a moment, despite the fact VWs have only 2 litre engines (that range) they are much higher quality vehicles with higher technical content than Americans usually purchase and their price reflects that. Lots of times they're diesels, which make sense in trucks and which are more expensive too. Most Americans don't care about that and want that big V8 or V6 because to them bigger is better and, conveniently, it's cheaper. And, see any diesels in the small ranges?

This, again, is not a (pickup truck) marketing problem. VW makes apples. The USA market wants oranges that VW doesn't make. Mercedes solved their version of this problem by buying Chrysler.