Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Nov 1999 14:01:00 -0800
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Is battery isolator better than a relay?

Relays, isolators, switches... sounds like fun :)

To add to the debate, some real life experience with the battery isolator. First the installation is somewhat more tricky, but not that difficult. The alteration to the alternator regulator is very simple. Alternator need not be removed. Just unscrew the regulator ( that black thing with the little round disc) and take it out. ( be careful with the brushes) Bend over the metal tab that contacts inside the alt. ( bend it all the way up) and solder a # 14 wire to it. Push the contact prong inside the alt. a bit more in, to make sure it won't make contact. Reinstall regulator. That wire goes to the R terminal on the isolator. I think that shouldn't discourage anyone from using the isolator. The other thing is to remove all the red wires, also the air cond. ones from the alternator B+. Then extend them and connect them to the nr. 1 terminal on the isolator. You should have only one fat wire go from the alternator B+ to the isolator A terminal. Really no big deal. I think that is where some people make a mistake.

My isolator has lived in the engine compartment for 7+ years now and is doing just fine. ( in the corner by the right rear tail light) One is supposed to keep them away from exhaust manifolds, mufflers etc. Intense heat can damage the isolator of course, like everything else, but the engine compartment is ok ( my experience).

In everyday use I found the isolator to be very reliable. Batteries charge well and both batts. are always in top condition. Very important, since mine is an automatic. vang. Batteries last a long time with this setup. The orig Varta starting batt. lasted 8 years, spending most of its life with the isolator. Never got stuck with a dead battery. Some thoughts: I never use trickle chargers when camping. Extension cords take up too much space on long trips anyway . If you camp where you can plug into the grid, you might as well use 110 volt heaters, lights and such, and not bother with any deep cycle battery installation. So if you want a true self-contained system, an efficient 12 volt charging setup for both batteries is important. I think the batt. isolator fits that bill, at least for hands-off operation. Why do batt. isolators get such a bad rap on this list? Truly I don't know. Perhaps, because they cost more, but they are not that expensive, and last a long time. Or maybe because one has to run a wire from the isolator to the aux. battery. Some listmembers had trouble installing isolators, and couldn't get them to work properly. Or because of the voltage drop. On my vanagon, the voltage meter on the dash shows 13.8+ volts at startup, and then after some time, it goes down to somewhere around 13.2 volts.

If you have the 90 A bosch alt. in good condition, the model 1202 R from Sure Power will work very well. That's the only isolator that I would use on a vanagon. Harald Rust 90 westfalia