Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:58:53 +0100
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Preparations for Rough Road Driving

JeanneMaly wrote:

> By way of Steve Schwenk's website, I found a link to wetwesties which had a VW > Tech Manual regarding preparations for driving on rough roads, which I am sure > we who are going to South America will encounter. > > I found a few things that I thought maybe the more expert among us could explain > to me. > > 1) What is a cyclone air filter and where would I get such a thing?

Jim Arnott gave a good description of this thing, all I wanted to add is that this was a VW option on cars sold to dusty conditions, and should, could be available from the dealers. You could see on page 4 that there were references to some M-numbers. Soon, I have the complete list of M-numbers for the T3 up on my web site, it only needs a few corrections before I make it public.

> > > 2) The publication goes into great detail (as such publications are wont to do) > about installing protective devices for the engine, etc. Are these devices > available anywhere?

Do you need even more protection under your Syncros engine? Doesn't the skid plates offer enough protection? If you need more protection under the engine, have some shop weld or bolt some plates to the skid rails under there. I would also recommend Derek Drew's tip about reinforcing the long rails that protect the drive shaft.

> > > 3) This publication has a terrific list of spare parts.

If these p/ns are VW's numbers (I couldn't find them in the first pages, didn't bother to look trough all again) you could bug the dealer about them.

PerL 87 Syncro 112i