Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Nov 1999 13:35:41 -0600
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      Re: TV/VCR-AC/DC Question
Comments: To: "Ralph P. Geho" <sales@RALPHOTO.COM>

At 01:25 PM 11/3/99 -0500, Ralph P. Geho wrote: >Hello Listees > >I need a suggestion. We are thinking of buying a combo TV/VCR for the >Westy and are undecided as to purchasing an ac/dc model or an ac only >model using an inverter. The price difference is quite significant. > up to a 9" combo will run off a 300w inverter. a 13" combo will need a 500w inverter. When you price inverters be sure to check continus output not peak. Inverters are often listed by their peak output. The peak rating is output at 1/2 wave (1/120 second). your TV will draw it's peak output for close to 10 seconds depending on model and ambient temp.

>I am also thinking of purchasing one of Ed Morrell's ac/dc Video players >and then purchasing a tv to use with it. > >Any suggestions as to which way to go? >

If you are going to go the seperate unit method, be sure they are both running on the same power source. ie, don't try to run one on an inverter and one on DC. Sometimes you will get a rolling picture caused by ground loops (see a really good electronics- A/V book for a detailed explination). It may not happen all the time, but sooner or later it will happen.

In T.U.R.D. we run seperate VCP and Monitor off a 600w inverter for the kids. the efficiency of the inverter is only 90% so we don't get much time off batteries, and often leave the whole set-up at home.

Hope this helps..

Chris Smith Director of smoke and mirrors Die Busbesitzer Gruppe '82 T.U.R.D. (totally unreliable recreational device) '74 Thing Stuff