Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:35:43 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@SCOTT.NET>
Subject:      Re: HELP 90 bucking
Comments: To: Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@ENTERACT.COM>

In the event you haven't resolved this yet, try warming the engine up, then disconnect the O2 sensor. Next drive it some. With the engine warm, it should idle ok when you stop at stop signs, and should run smooth at highway speeds. If it kicks and bucks under these set up conditions you probably need to replace the O2 sensor.

With the engine warm and the O2 connector unplugged from the O2 sensor, it is a good time to check your idle speed as well. Can't remember exactly but I think the Bentley calls for 900 rpm at idle. It should hold at a steady RPM.

When the engine is cold, if the O2 sensor is disconnected, the engine will not idle. It is during cold start and cold idling that the O2 sensor does its job if working properly.

Hope this helps.

John Rodgers In Birmingham, AL