Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:02:14 -0500
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: W.B. Turbo and weak spots
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@SCOTT.NET>

John Rodgers wrote: > > Robert, one of the problems with adding equipment like a turbo is what to do > with the extra heat that is generated. The wasserboxer, in my opinion, just > won't take it. Right now my 2.1L is down for a rebuild because a piston melted > a hole tin the top. Something was not right and it gave up the ghost. Unless > the engine is specifically designed for a turbo, or in the case of hot-rodding > the engine, re-engineered for the application, I don't think it is a practical > application at all. There are somethings that might be done, and if the engine > is carefully blueprinted it will handle some extra heat, but I personally > wouldn't opt for a turbo. > > The direction I am headed at the moment is to clean up the weak spots in the > stock engine, and with a few changes increase the performance and particularly > the longevity of the engine. Balanceing the rotating machinery is one giant > step. The crank, rods, and pistons will be matched and balanced. I'm also > taking a close look at the compression ratio as well. By going to a 1.9 head > instead of going back to the 2.1 head, the compression ratio can be raised > slightly without machining the heads. Ratio rockers are expected to improve > performance as well. Following the example of others, I plan to port ( grind > out the ports on the heads to exactly match the exhaust pipe connection) and > polish(polish the ports to exceptional smoothness) the heads which will improve > scavenging, The cam may be reground as well, but it will be for an essentially > street profile, nothing radical at all. That would not follow the intent and > purpose. A new water pump and a new close tolerance oil pump will be added to > maintain superior oil pressure. > > None of this is really new, just following the examples K. Wilfy and Robert > Lilley. > > I think the wasserboxer to be an engine well balanced to the vanagon, and when > overhauled, if certain issues of performance are addressed, you can get good > power from the engine as well as long life. > > John Rodgers > > Robert Tippey wrote: > > > Hello Vanagon Friends > > > > I'm new to the list but not THE CAR. > > I read a message written by John Benditt in which he mentions > > adding a blower for 150 HP. Has there been any R&orD regarding this > > application? I like my wasserboxer but more power is appealing. > > NO, I don't want a Subaru or other unrelated transplant option, thanks. > > > > Rob '91 Syncro John and the list I agree the turbo idea has no place under the deck lid of a vanagon as for going back to 1.9 heads from the 2.1 let me point out that the 2.1 heads have a much cleaner intake (better breathing) and exhaust ports and a better combustion chamber shape this is also true of the AMC heads but to a lesser extent As for cleaning up the weak spots the used con rods will be your biggest weak spot if you dont rebuild the big ends and replace the hardware boosting the compression ratio makes the engine run hotter and could give you less power and increase the chance of abnormal combustion and melting pistons again A new close tolerance oil pump to incease the oil pressure can cause problems with the lifters over pumping by the way the some gasket sets have an 0.008 ths thick gasket for the oil pump cover and some come with a 0.004 ths thick gasket the dealer lists a (111 115 131 B) part # same as the type one all type 1 gasket sets they all have a pump cover gasket thats 0.004 ths the thicker gasket with the differance of 0.004 ths will give you half the oil pressure After market cams can shift the power band and make it more likley that you will need to down shift for the hills on the highway ratio rockers could give you 10% increase in power and put more strain on the valve guides I think its hard to beat the stock setup when it is set up correctly with very few changes needed Bob Donalds bostonengine.com