Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Nov 1999 07:16:06 -0800
From:         Steve Schwenk <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Computerized Gauge Setup
Comments: To: KENWILFY@aol.com

I was joking about the start up....i am sure it is already in advanced stages at several cos. already. No reason why we could not build our own, though. steve

KENWILFY@aol.com wrote: > > This is why I wanted to go the computer way. With merely the digital gauges > you are stuck with the 6 gauges (however cool looking they are:) for around > $800 just for the cluster (not to mention the senders) and since two of these > are speedo and tach then you are really only getting 4 other gauges (thanks > for the link to Dakota Digital page as I spent a few hours the other night > looking for a page like that and couldn't find it). > > I want at least 6 other gauges and On Board Diagnostics (OBD) would be great. > The idea of using a small computer is that you could have your gauges (I > would only put three on one screen and then just push a button to view the > other three), plus monitor fuel mileage, fuel to air ratio, and anything else > you wanted to keep track of. You could even add the GPS feature if you > wanted to (or not, it would be flexible that way) and then remove the > computer from the van when you wanted and use it for more mundane tasks like > email, notes, etc. I would think you could do this for around $800-1000 > (maybe less if you bought used stuff). > > So I am willing to spend some of my precious money and spare time (which > seems to be more precious than the money right now) to work on this project. > Anyone else game? I am not really interested, at this point, in developing > something to sell but rather setting this up for myself and some others who > just want to know what is going on back there (I'm getting a rebuilt > waterboxer for my Carat soon and I want to be able to keep an eye on it). > > Ken Wilford > http://www.vanagain.com > John 3:16 > Office (856)-765-1583 > Shop (856)-327-0027 > Fax (856)-327-2242