Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Nov 1999 08:59:46 PST
From:         Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Michelin MXT Specs

****

To those of you who don't like tire threads: please delete this and move on/let go. I don't want to hear about it. Thank you.

Tony

****

I live in California too and went through a similar 'discovery' process with the MXT's. I also almost put MX's and/or MXT's on my van and then stopped the process at the last minute!

The Michelin tire WITH an M+S rating that is made for the Vanagon is the 'Agilis 61' (which, by the way, I have on my '91 Syncro Westy and am very happy with). Many dealers will not know about the Agilis 61 because is it so specialized (indeed Michelin USA brought it into the country from Europe - where it IS in wide use-- specifically for the Vanagon. (I've talked to the guy at Michelin who made that decision.) When I bought mine last June, I know the inventories of this tire in the Michelin distribution warehouses was high, so it should still be easy to order once you get someone to agree with you that it exists!

Call 1 800 MICHELIN and talk to them about it. They're fairly 'corporate line' there, but they DO know their stuff. The Agilis 61 is a tire designed for both 'urban' and "rough conditions". The are sold for commerical vans in Europe and Africa (!) -- "where potholes might not be fixed for months...if ever." The sidewall is extremely reinforced, and this has practically eliminated crosswind, cornering, and evasive lane-change 'mushiness.' For the record, it is the only tire that Michelin Corporate will 'officially' recommend for the Vanagon.

Tony '91 Westy Syncro ('teepee') Pacific Grove, CA