Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:37:15 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      No thanks: TV's, HUDs, GPS, microwave ovens, etc.

And from the wilderness, came a voice...

I, for one, like my funky old VW gauges, and like looking down at them, rather than having them on the windshield. I go camping to get away from TV's, VCR's, barcodes, GPS, and this computer (which is my office, and my income). I like using a topo, a compass, and shooting an azimuth to navigate.

More importantly, I have enough to maintain (READ: "enough that can go wrong") on our Westy already without adding after-the-fact TV's, VCR's, Cisco Routers, Servers, GPS, tuned-mass hydraulic damping systems, or HUD gauges...

But I look forward to seeing them in someone else's van, so have fun.

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: David Filcoff [SMTP:dave@V-DUB.MUSA.COM] Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 9:49 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Another option: Computerized Gauge Setup

I do some programing for applications similar to this in National Instruments LabWindows CVI (C for virtual instrumentation). Basically it allows you to take data (from a number of different sources), manipulate it and represent it graphically in a Windows 9x or NT environment.

If you were to take the lines off of the ECU, just like the digifant tool, you could get data from a variety of sources. However I do not see a practical way to use a Palm PDA, at least the 3com line because the constant updating of the screen would eat the batteries not to mention the backlight would have to on to reflect off of the windshield. The other problem is that the Palm's run Palm OS, you can write stuff for them, but not with CVI. The Windows CE PDA's might be able to run the programs, but I won't get in to that because they suck.

But one could use a laptop, and with the extra space provided you could log the data in a spreadsheet so that you could review the engine performance later or even replay the run. However there is no provision for speed with out some way of getting the mechanical speedometer reading into a digital signal, like a digital speedometer sender from an audi or something.

I put a screen shot of on of the app's I'm currently working on at < http://www.251.org/temp/mcd.gif > It's not the best quality, but you'll get the idea, the original is over 1100 pixels wide, this one should fit on your screen.

dave