Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 1999 18:51:10 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: New 84 Waterbox...
Comments: To: t obrien <calwestfalia@NETSCAPE.NET>

Hi,

I'm a gambler, and so far I've been either lucky or a good judge of used engines.

I would pull the heads on the engine you have and see what their condition is. Matter of fact, I would only pull the leaky head. If the first head is pitted, plan on replacing both. If not, just replace the gasket on the one side. I did this on an engine a few years back, and the other never did leak. I finally pulled the whole engine and replaced it with one from a wrecking yard. That was after about 30K miles. Before going for a rebuilt, I'd check out the used engine market. Someone listed two 2.1L just this week. he was looking for bids on them. May still be available.

Anyway, like I said, I'm a gambler on these things, and so far I've put over 250K miles on $1800 dollars of used engines.

YMMV

Karl Wolz ----- Original Message ----- From: t obrien <calwestfalia@NETSCAPE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 5:45 PM Subject: New 84 Waterbox...

Well, I bought Cory's 84 (or 83 1/2) Waterboxer... It has a blown head gasket. It has also been sitting for a year. So a couple of questions... 1.) Do I pull the thing apart and see how bad it is? Should I do just new heads? 2.) Perhaps I should invest in a long block ($1800) from Boston Engine? These guys seem to have a good reputation. 3.)Is there a West Coast rebuilder with the same reputation that you know of? Save on shipping charges. I priced a VW rebuild from the dealer ($2900 plus a grand core charge). Not worth it in my mind. It takes them at least a month to get it. 4.) for this kind of money, is it worth considering the Kennedy Subaru retrofit? Has anyone done one? Should I be looking into one of the Jappanese used motor import houses (like the one in Almeda, CA)?

It's Friday (I hope). Be patient with all my questions.

BTW- The van looks great. Just need to get it running.

tim

____________________________________________________________________ Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.