Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Nov 1999 11:22:35 -0500
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      93 Eurovan Fire Update

Its been a while since I posted an update on the EV fire. Things have been rather slow on that front. One of the major problems has been trying find a new main engine compartment wiring harness for the engine compartment. There are none in the US and none in Germany! Six weeks ago VW put the wiring harness on a "priority list", and as of today....nada!

The woman from VW with whom I have been working has not been able to get the search for the harness off center.

A couple of weeks ago, both a representative from VW and a forensic investigator visited my EV. As a result of the forensic investigator's report, my insurance company has said it will subrogate the claim against VW. As for VW, I was told that VW is now considering the merits of a recall on the EVs.

Wednesday, I went to the dealer (where the EV is staying) to develop a more comprehensive damage list. The insurance adjuster came up with about $2,300 in damages. I came up with a parts list that filled all but two lines on a legal sized sheet of paper!

The damage on my EV is in an area from the edge of the manifold on the driver's side to the battery box area. Every component in that area has either been melted or at least exposed to high temperatures/smoke damage. That includes brake lines, master cylinder, wiper motor and assembly, all hoses (heater and A/C), rear heater control, clutch slave cylinder, gear shift assembly...on and on ad nauseum.

Prior to the fire, I had no problem with hopping in the EV and driving off on a 2,000 mile road trip. All I would have to do is check the fluids, air pressure in the tires, fill it with gas, and we were good to go.

I now have the feeling that unless every component in that engine compartment is replaced (except the engine, tranny, and radiator) that the reliability of the EV will always be in question. Perhaps it would be better if the EV were to be totaled and I pick up another EV.

Ric