Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Nov 1999 18:46:44 -0800
From:         Art Beutler <abeutler@GETNET.COM>
Subject:      Wasser Leaking/Gushing

My 1986 Wolfburg Weekender has suddenly made the transition from no coolant loss from the head gaskets to spouting a gusher of coolant. Last time I dove the Vanagon before this occurred was yesterday; today I noticed after I ran it just long enough to move it from one parking space to an adjacent one a significant wet spot was forming on the driveway. This I quickly traced to a leak at the head gasket on the right side of the engine; specifically it is at the bottom of the head right in between the two sets of pushrods.

I had thought that these things tend to develop gradually starting with a few drops per day; this is a few drops per minute! The gasket material feels reasonably flexible, the leak is on the head side of the gasket, and the surrounding area is clean. As usual, I have several qustions for the wisdom of the list to ponder:

1) Is my situation unusual (going from no leak to a high rate leak)? 2) If the answer to (1) is yes, are there other likely causes than corrosion? 3) What is my range of options?

Thanks,

Art Beutler