Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Nov 1999 21:37:49 -0500
From:         Jim DiGennaro <limbo@BCN.NET>
Subject:      Re: ECU problems tied into Weird Hesitation / Loss of Power
Comments: To: Jeffrey T Cross <jtcross@CDC.NET>

Hi Volks, I missed the original thread about this hesitation, but I had a ECU go bad on my '84 last spring. It seemed the colder it got the better it would run. It would sputter and loose power right around 50 MPH. If I had to maintain 50 it would just about shake the van apart. I had to either go over or under 50. I would also feel a quick sputter, while shifting through the gears and it would always be at the same point on the tach (about 2900 rpms) First thought was the AFM. Check it with a known good one, no change. Switched out ECU's, problem gone.

Now, I have a new bus and I noticed a few weeks ago a very similar thing happening again but this time it happens at lower RPM's and I can't get it to do it all the time. I first noticed it when I had O2 sensor burn out about 3 weeks ago. If I lug the engine down to between 2000 and 2500 RPM's I could get a hiccup out if the bus. I thought it was time for a tune up, I did the normal tune up stuff ( I did find one bad wire) and I noticed the hiccup still there, but I couldn't get it to do it everytime or under certain conditions. Sometime, I would feel it while running up through the gears or sometimes while driving around 40 in 4th gear. But it would do it all the time. I've narrowed it down to the O2 sensor circuit. I've disconnected it and the van runs perfect. New O2's haven't helped. I'm wondering if that 25 dollar universal Pepboys O2 sensor I put in back in June didn't burn something out in my ECU. ( Hey Darrel, you want to take a crack at making one good one from two? Or just fix one up for me?) Right know I have the 02 disconnected, it runs fine and gas mileage is as good as ever. 19-21 mpg in a camper. But this is only a temp fix for this problem, cause we here in Taxachusetts have a new emissions test program and so I have to get this fixed before next June. Anybody have a good ECU for a '84 1.9L? Anyone have any ideas about my problem? Let me know. Take care. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ -Jim DiGennaro LiMBO, The Late Model Bus Organization, international zzzzzzzzzzz_ |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ | _ LiMBO | _ || =-( )---------( )--= '84 Green Westfalia, 'The Turtle Van' James Digennaro, LiMBO's Editor and Web master. 34 Summer St., Adams, MA 01220 ICQ# 5534528 LiMBO LINE: (413) 743-1814 URL: http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/ 'Transporters By The Tunnel' - A fun camping event ' held in July ------------------------------------------------------------------------