Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Nov 1999 00:01:24 -0800
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Preparations for Rough Road Driving
Comments: To: JeanneMaly <jeannemaly@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

JeanneMaly wrote:

> > 1) What is a cyclone air filter and where would I get such a thing?

I see them all the time on Hysters. I suspect that they are also available from any off-road supplier. What they are is an air filter that forces the air to rotate prior to entering the paper filter element. Thus centrifigal force throws the larger chunks out where they are collected prior to entering the filter medium. You see big ones all the time on earth moving equipment. Can about a foot in diameter and about 18" tall. The ones on the Hysters that I've seen ate about 6" in dia by about a foot long. Would be PERFECT for my bus... Now is I could just "liberate" one...

> > > 2) The publication goes into great detail (as such publications are wont to do) > about installing protective devices for the engine, etc. Are these devices > available anywhere? Do you think these things would be necessary for semi-paved > roads or are these for the African wilderness?

If you notice, at the end of the document are engineering drawings for the fabrication of the protective devices. I'm afraid that the market is so small that one must have them fabricated locally. I looked into having a run of engine protection grills made a couple of years ago for the '74-'79 buses. If I had had a dozen of them fab'ed up, the cost would have come in around $300 ea. All the expense was in the labor. The materials cost is about ten bucks. Might be possible to have it done by the iron workers in Mexico at a reasonable price, but not around here...

> > > 3) This publication has a terrific list of spare parts. I would recommend that > every other Compleat Idiot like me take a look at it. I would also like the > non-Compleat Idiot's to give me their opinions of the list, perhaps with advice > as to which parts should be shared among the caravaners, with the knowledge that > the caravaners only expect to be on the same continent at the same time, not > glued at the hip.

As you are reviewing the recommended spare, remember that the Vanagon is not available anywhere in the world except South Africa. It was NEVER available (to my knowledge) in the central and southern hemispheres of the Americas. If your steering rack in your '87 Syncro goes away in Costa Rica, the replacement is going to have to travel a LOOOONG way to get to you. Same with many of the parts that are on your Vanagon. Were I contemplating such a journey, I'd be looking for a '68-'71 Westy. Might be able to find parts for it on the way. With a Vanagon, you might as well be driving a Ferarri. Heck, even the type IV motor is going to be a pain to maintain. (IF anything goes seriously wrong.)

Don't get me wrong. I do believe that it is do-able. This journey is really going to require a bunch of thought and preparation. Let me say that again... PREPARATION! There are a couple of books that I've come across over the years that might help in understanding the journey that you folks are planning... One is called (I think. It's been about thirty-five years since I've seen it...) "The Journey of the Turtle". Germaine in that the route is the one that you are planning. Don't remember the author, and it's probably out of print... The Other is called "Camping Out With Your Van or Minibus" by Harry Coleman, ISBN 0-87196-308-6, Copyright 1983. Author circumnavigated in a '76 Westy. First stop... Der Vaterland at VW to have a type I motor installed. (For free, BTW) Well worth a read. Has sections on: Planning and Preparation (there's that word again...), Taking the Trip, and Fact Sheets about many of the areas that he crossed. For this journey, I'd consider it a MUST READ!

I have that book (Camping...) in my library, and if it's out of print, I'd consider loaning it to the folks planning to do this trip, though I really wouldn't want it to get away. I'm going to need it one of these days.

Jim