Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:12:18 EST
From:         Connal Hughes <cmmhughes@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '85 Westfalia Engine Dying:II

Thanks to everyone for the diagnostic help re: an engine that sporadically cut out while driving.

The vast majority of people suggested ignition switch and I think that is indeed the problem. After some suggestions, I hopped back in the car to listen for that fuel pump "priming" sound. I couldn't get it at first, but then though some fiddling with the ignition it whirred as usual. In fact I was even able to coax a restart out of the car by fiddling with the keys as I turned the ignition. The car died again 20 feet down the road, but I was only trying to move it to the other side of the street to park, so it wasn't such a big deal.

In an attempt to close this chapter of Vanagon inoperation, can anyone give me a rundown of the ignition switch replacement procedure?

Thanks again for the help. I just discovered this list about a week ago while looking for solutions to my current problem. As the original owner of the van, I wish I had stumbled upon this list a long time ago. It probably would have saved me a lot of mis-diagnosed repair bills.

In one final question, a recent tune-up turned up leaking push-rod tubes. I didn't get them fixed at the time ($$) and I was unable to obtain the seriousness of this problem on vehicle operation. Is this one of those "when it fails, it fails big" things, or will it wear down over time.

Thanks Connal cmmhughes@hotmail.com