Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:10:40 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Another Fridge Question
Comments: To: Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>

>Comments welcome. I would like to know if any one has a REALLY good reason >why driving with the fridge on propane is a bad idea.

Well for starters, that propane tank under the van is basically a bomb!

I live in snow country. We get some big snows, like sometimes 4 to 6 feet in 24 hours. Many houses use propane tanks. Occasionally the weight of a big snow will shift a propane tank and cause one of the fittings to crack. The propane will leak out of the tank, travel under the snow and get into the house. When it reaches one of the pilot lights in the house.... Kaboooooooom!!! End of house. And end of people if they are in the house.

Scenario 1: Well, imagine an accident that cracks a propane line or the tank itself.... Kabooooom! End of Westy! And end of people if they are in it.

Scenario 2: Your propane flame does not blow out on the freeway. But being absent minded like me you drive into the gas station and forget that it is on... under certain circumstances (perhaps rare, but they do have those no smoking signs on gas pumps for a reason)... you can imagine the rest.

Scenario 3: Your propane flame does not blow out on the freeway. You don't get into an accident. And you are not stopping to fill up with gasoline. But you perhaps you are absent minded like me... You stop to fill your propane tank. The attendant forgets to ask if your pilot light is off. You forget too..... Kabooooooom!

Bill